Saturday, August 21, 2010

19th Century Sandwich Bag

I'm in the process of finishing an 1860 dress I started a year ago. It's a very plain dress but I just kept pushing it aside but I'm finally determined to finish it because I'd like to wear it to an event in September. I finally finished embroidering a collar for it, I have pictures and will put them up.

On a side note, but still related to the 19th century, I found this somewhat pattern for a 19th century Sandwich Bag! I thought it was pretty funny to see they would make embroidered sandwich bags for their picnics! I almost want to make one for myself, though I have no idea what I would do with it lol. It came from Beeton's Book of Needlework, and here is what it said-

"Sandwich Case.

Materials: Strip of grey kid; strip of oil silk; 1 skein black silk; 1 skein red purse silk; 1 hank steel beads; steel button.

This case will be found very useful on the occasion of a journey or picnic, as it can be carried in the pocket without any inconvenience.

The case is made of a strip of grey kid, scalloped out at the edges. The words "Bon appetit," or "Good appetite," at will, are worked over it in overcast with black purse silk and steel beads, the scroll pattern in chain stitch with red silk. The back and front of the case are formed of the same strip, which is lined with oilskin, and to which narrow side-pieces are added to form the pocket. These pieces are lined and scalloped out in the same way as the back and front, and then the scallops of both sides are joined together, and worked round in button-hole stitch with purse silk.

The case is fastened down with a steel button.

If another colour is preferred, the sandwich case can be made of brown kid. The scroll pattern should then be worked in rich blue purse silk, and gold beads used for the letters, which should be embroidered as before in black silk. The edge may be worked in double overcast stitch in blue or black silk. A gold button must replace the steel when this alteration of colour is made."

Sandwich Case.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Simplicity 1620

Simplicity 1620 was finished about 2 weeks ago. I absolutely adore this dress. Its definitely my new favorite. I considered putting the collar but it came out too short for the

neckline and the fabric was too stiff and I decided against it. This was my first pattern that I made larger. It was a size 12 bust 30. I looked up directions and afterwards figured out I didn't do it right, but it came out well enough and it fits me. Other than the sizing and having to make it a little bigger the dress was relatively simple, nothing too complicated. I love the neckline of this dress. I will be making this again sometime, it's too bad summer is ending though!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hollywood 1025

I recently made Hollywood 1025. I found a pretty blue rayon fabric with flowers. When I got this pattern I just knew I had to use rayon for it. To me 1940 suits with peplums just have to be made with rayon. The hardest part of this pattern was the side insets. Im still not completely happy with how they turned out.

Monday, August 9, 2010

New dresses

I've been sewing a lot lately and have finished a rayon 1940 suit, a blue and white 1950 dress, and am currently finishing up a blue 1940 princess line dress. I will put pictures soon!