- This one is an examination of multiple short gowns, not necessarily sewing techniques but helpful. I learned that piecing at the end of my sleeves and corners of my peplum were period appropriate from here.
- 18th century button holes hand sewn here
- Dorset Buttons
- PDF of lots of sewing techniques here. Tells you where they found the stitch used and what the stitch is/ how to do it. also shows sleeves.
- Diary of a Mantua Maker- this post has a drawing of different stitches and explanations for them
- Period Sewing Techniques- some drawings of stitches and descriptions of different sewing techniques
- Annekata- this post doesn't really have sewing techniques but it does have a great picture from Costume Closeup on how to sew with the lining.
- Crooked Tree Farm - this has some links to sewing techniques which I think are some of the above links. It also has links to how to make men's clothing and children's.
Tuesday, October 15, 2013
18th Century Handsewing
While working on my shortgown, I looked up a lot about 18th century hand sewing and different types of stitches. I started a list of sites with information about different stitches and sewing techniques and I figured I'd put my list on here so it's easy to find again later and to update when I find new information!