Thursday, February 28, 2013

Vogue 9868

I had not been planning on making my 1940 nightgown so soon, but the other day I was at Hancock fabrics looking for some lace and I found the prettiest softest fabric that I knew just had to be a nightgown! Wednesday morning I was still thinking about the fabric so I ran back over and picked some up!
My unfortunately torn pattern

When I was really little I had one of those My Twinn dolls and we had matching nightgowns. It was my absolutely favorite nightgown and I wore it till I physically couldn't fit in it anymore! They don't sell it anymore, but it looked like this -
I think it's where my idea of nightgowns must have little rose buds on them to make them perfect! So when I found this fabric I just couldn't say no. It's not the same texture but the roses are almost identical!  

The pattern only had 4 pieces to it, so it was super easy and fast to put together! I love the length and that it doesn't use up a ton of fabric, though it is on the bias. Cutting on the bias always makes me anxious because it leaves a bunch of scraps I can't use but it was definitely worth it for this!

I was also excited because it gave me a chance to use my new serger I got for christmas! It took a little bit to get the tension right and everything, but it makes it look so much nicer inside! 


I don't know the name for this type of trim- the cotton lace with ribbon that's run through it- but I just love it! It was on sale too, so now I have extra for something else!  I like that the ribbon could be changed out too, I may put a pink one through it to contrast the white. 

All in all, I'm very happy with how this turned out. I LOVE this fabric and love the pattern! I'm thinking I need to trace the pattern so I can have a sturdy version and am able to remake this again if I want too. Though, I can't picture it in any other fabric, did I say how much I really loved this fabric?! It was a quick sew, it took me just a night and that's with all my fiddling with the serger to get that to work right. With this nightgown pattern and Advance 4522 I'm set!


No comments:

Post a Comment