Sunday, August 4, 2013

Stays Part II

Here is my second attempt at 18th century stays. I changed patterns and I actually got a much better fit than before! Next time though a front lacing one for sure... I dread putting this on because the back lacing is a pain! It could be made a little smaller too since it laces completely closed.  

I also did half-boned stays instead of fully boned only because the pattern was for half boned stays. 

They still need the eyelets finished but I feel like I may get fed up and want to make another front lacing pair soon so I'm hesitant to take the time to do all the eyelets.  I have it laced with a ribbon since that's what I have on hand at the moment. 


Pattern: Ralph Pink 18th Century Stays

Accuracy: the pattern is accurate but it's all machine sewn.  I won't hand sew a pair of stays till I have a pattern that fits perfectly! Fabric probably isn't accurate. I love paying attention to accuracy but always getting accurate fabrics can get expensive so I'm satisfied if I can just make it in a historically accurate way. 

Time: a good week of sewing all the time

Fabric: all of it came from my stash. I don't know what the blue is, it may be linen. The inside layer is some cotton I had on hand. and light blue cotton binding I had on hand. 


P.S. the 1860 sheer is on it's way!! I just can't decide between design ideas!


2 comments:

  1. Gosh, you've been busy! I can't believe you whipped up that jacket, and these stays (stays take me forever!). They look fantastic - lovely smooth fit.

    The Ralph Pink pattern is actually just the pattern from Norah Waugh's Corsets & Crinolines, digitized and made printable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of downtime during the summer! When school starts I'll be lucky if I get one project done a semester haha.

      Thank you! It's good to hear that, I'm so new to sewing 18th century I never feel quite sure about fit and things!

      Oh okay now that you say that I feel like I've read that before somewhere. I don't have that book so I'm glad someone digitized the pattern!

      Delete