Tuesday, January 7, 2014

1780 Zone Front

Beginning Construction and Fabric Plans

Originally I planned to try to use a pattern scaled up out of Patterns of Fashion or Costume Closeup but since I made a basic 18th century bodice block a few months ago and I would have been redrafting any patterns from those books anyways, I figured it would be easiest to make my own pattern. 

First I had to figure out the right shape for the front section. I went with the left side which is a little rounder and goes further out to the side. In the back of my mind I keep wondering if I should do the more pointed zone front than the rounded... 

In this pretty rough first mockup, once again, the left side of the zone front looks better even though I cut them both the same. I think it was just a mistake in the sewing on the right side folding over a little too much of the top piece. It was too large so I ended up just taking out the very side back piece and I'll extend the front piece just a little bit to wrap around. The neckline also had to be cut lower and widened. I also added more shape to the waistline. 

The back bodice will be disconnected from the skirt and have a point. 

For a fabric color and fabric update, I found some beautiful silk taffetas but for how much I'll need and how expensive it is, the cheapest color option was actually the lavender and white. Luckily, I found about 2 1/2 maybe three yards of white silk left over from an 1860 ball gown 6 or 7 years ago! Yay! I hope mixing a rough silk (the kind with those lines and whatnot in it) with a silk taffeta will look alright. I ordered the Lavender taffeta today from Renaissance Fabrics, I can't wait to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment