Monday, June 17, 2013

1916 dress inspired by the 18th century

I recently saw a picture of this 1916 lucile wedding dress and fell in love with it. I found more detailed pictures of it on the digital collection of the Chicago History Museum website.

I have absolutely no reason to make this dress and it would be a little ridiculous to spend time making this. BUT I do happen to have lots of a white silky blend fabric left over from my graduation dress I made two years ago and I've never had anything to do with it... and well I'll just use the need for practicing pattern drafting as an excuse to be making a random 1916 wedding gown. 

The only thing I think I would change on this dress is the sleeves, possibly make them longer and definitely get rid of the netted undersleeves. I do love the trim though. I think the hardest thing for me would be the way the skirt is attached to the bodice, I'm not sure I like how it looks up close. 

I'm really glad this Chicago Museum's photo allow you to zoom in so closely and see the details it will be a huge help in constructing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment